This chapter is an extract from book: Headaches Begone! A Systemic Approach To Healing Your Headaches.
Continued from End Migraines & Headaches using Herbs, Spices, Seeds & Nuts (Part 2).
Passionflower (Passiflora alata) is a sedative and helps with nervousness or anxiety-related headaches. It treats migraines through reducing inflammation in the blood vessels. As the name of the herb suggests, it’s a good one for those with headaches from being too passionate or angered about something.
- Take passionflower supplements
- Drink passionflower tea
Peppermint (Mentha × Piperita) provides calming and soothing effects and it contains menthol and menthone that help open up the blood vessels that cause headaches when constricted.
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil to a base of ethanol (ethyl alcohol), olive oil, almond oil or just water and apply to your forehead.
- Crush fresh peppermint leaves and apply the paste to your forehead.
- Use the steam inhalation method with peppermint oil.
- Peppermint tea has a calming effect and often aids in diminishing the migraines.
When you’re done with the tea, let those wet peppermint teabags cool and then place them on your closed eyes for several minutes.